Yesterday there was a bunch of excitement on VUDU’s new “Share My Movies” program.
They say “Now you can share your UltraViolet movies and TV shows with up to five people in just a few clicks. No need to copy and send files. No need to share passwords. Plus, it’s absolutely free.”
Sounds great and I was one of those that was excited until I started reading the VUDU FAQ and doing a little more investigating, the more I read the more I was getting confused. Even VUDU’s own FAQ is confusing, so I broke in down in easy terms to understand what you’re getting into.
If you’re invited to someone’s VUDU account please understand everything you are giving up before you accept their invite.
1. You will have access to their UV movies/TV shows, BUT you will only have access to your movies/TV shows that you bought, redeemed, or did D2D (Disc to Digital) via VUDU.
Any movie you purchased, redeemed or did D2D before on other services (Flixster, CinemaNow, TargetTicket, etc.) those movies will NOT show up in your VUDU account, EVEN if they are UV.
2. You will no longer be able to invite others to your collection, as you are only allowed to link to one UV account at a time. Once you accept, you lose your way to invite others.
3. You will be disconnected from your own UV account and be linked to this person’s UV account.
4. ANY movie you buy, redeem, or do D2D via VUDU will be assigned to their UV account, NOT YOURS! Sure you’ll be able to watch the movie, but if you have a falling out with them or you disconnect from their account, you’ll lose that movie and there is no way to get it back or transferred.
5. Any movie from now on that you buy, redeem, or D2D on other services (Flixster, CinemaNow, TicketTicket, etc.) will NOT show up in your VUDU account.
6. You are only allowed to link and unlink to your UV account to any one service twice a year. (Although if you link and unlink to your own account it seems to be okay, but be careful)
7. If this person has 5 people on their account, VUDU only allows 3 devices to stream at a time, so you could possibly never be able to stream movies if this person has a large movie account. (Although I am getting clarification on this)
8. Any Disney, Marvel, MGM, VUDU only or for that matter any movie that is not UV, will not be seen/shared.
I did a test last night and I will share my results in a future post next week.
For now I would not recommend using it.
Please let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them right away.