A lot of web-masters pack in their boards simply because they don’t see their members list filling up. People get demotivated and start to think they have took some wrong turns. Well I have got news for you, things are not so easy and these are the kind of results you will see when you first start up your forum. You need to get recognized by the internet and I will give you a few tips on how to do that.
1) Add your site too Search Engines. In majority of cases your site traffic will come from search engines. So it is important to get your self out their and add yourself too Google, Yahoo and Bing. All these site have tools on them where you can add your url to the database and they will send out the spiders/bots to come and index your site.
2) Don’t have too many forums. Users do not like empty forums. Having 15 categories and 20 forums is a terrible idea to start off with. You have to condense your forum until it starts to attract members. You will have to talk about multiple subjects under one forum until you start to get enough content from your members in order to create a new forums and sub-forums. Having an empty forum will not encourage users to join as they want to be in the best forum where the best discussions happen and if they see you have board with empty forums they will leave.
3) Have something unique. I have seen a lot of boards discuss the same things without offering the user something if they join. Why would they come and join your forum if you have the same features of the board they are already on. You have to offer something that will attract members something that other boards don’t have. A good way to get thinking is; How does my board stand out from the rest of my niche? If you can answer that truthfully you are heading in the right direction.
4) Having quality content. If you want users to come back to your board you have to make sure you keep updating your forum with Quality Content. Important and useful information that can be discussed on your board. Remember those words. If you keep your forum updated with quality content then you offer your visitors a reason to come back to your forum and a reason for them to refer your board to other users.
5) Money is not the way. If you are creating a board just soley for making money then you are in for a huge disappointment. I have seen many board administrators with their sole purpose is just to go out and make money of their board then they come back disappointed. You will make nothing from your forum in the very beginning and your ads would discourage users to join. You should always build up a community and an active member base first before attempting to generate some revenue.
These are a few vital tips you can use to start up your form. Remember no pain no gain. You have to work hard and to make your forum successful though the reward and the feeling you get is definitely worth it!
Happy Board Administering!
All the best,